Friday, August 9, 2013

Emptiness is not vacancy ...

So much other stuff is calling me away from time to create these days. It makes me long more for that time.

Last night I was reading more in Untie the Strong Woman by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD. Here's a quote I've been chewing on ever since:

"Sometimes, emptiness is not vacancy, but rather a long gestation. Gestation by ego's measure is most often too long. But, by soul's measure, the length of the waiting and making within, before what is being created shows on the outside, is ever just right."

So I'm trying to think of this time away from art as a gestation period. I ache to get back to my studio, and I never knew this feeling before. I KNOW creating is healing. If anything, in the short 20 months since I started this art journaling journey, I now understand how healing it is ... and I don't like to be deprived of the time to get to it. But maybe this will be a better frame of mind to think of time away from my art; embracing the time away as the gestation period my soul needs right now. Going to try it on.

Soooo looking forward to the book study starting on Women Who Run With Wolves!! I'm really enjoying Dr. Estes' story telling style.

2 comments:

  1. Love the quote! (Timely for me, too)

    Best wishes as you continue to gestate and hoping you are able to get back to your art soon . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete